The Paleontological Society meeting at GSA, 2013
Paleontological Society Short Course -- Ecosystem Paleobiology and Geobiology: Saturday, October 26, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Event #33577)
Paleontological Society Reception Buffet: Sunday, October 27, 7:00-9:30 p.m. (starting one hour later than last year); this will again be a ticketed event.
Paleontological Society Education and Outreach Committee: Monday, October 28, 7:00-9:00 p.m. (Event #33576)
Paleontological Society's Schuchert Talk to Students and Student Social: Monday, October 28, 7:00-9:00 p.m. (Event #33635)
Paleontological Society Council Meeting: Tuesday, October 29, 1:00-5:00 p.m. (Event #33581)
The Paleontological Society is offering four scholarships for students who would like participate in the field trip History of Paleontology at the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument during the GSA Annual Meeting in Denver. The field trip will be held on October 31st. More information is available at http://community.geosociety.org/2013AnnualMeeting/Conference/FieldTrips (see trip #425).
Students who wish to apply must be current members of the Paleontological Society and enrolled in a college or university where they are pursuing a degree related to paleontology. Applications should be addressed to the field trip leader, Herb Meyer, at Herb_Meyer@nps.gov. Applications should include a statement of relevance of the student’s studies and interests to the field trip topic, a statement of what they would expect to gain from the field trip, willingness to provide limited logistics assistance during the trip, and one reference sent directly by a professor to the same e-mail address.
North American Paleontological Convention
We are pleased to announce that the 10th North American Paleontological Convention (NAPC) will be held in Gainesville, Florida, in February 2014. The meeting will be hosted by the Florida Museum of Natural History (University of Florida) from February 15th through 18th (Saturday through Tuesday). Pre-conference and post-conference field trips are tentatively planned for February 13th - 14th and 19th - 20th, respectively.
The North American Paleontological Convention is a major international paleontological event administered by the Paleontological Society under the auspices of the Association of North American Paleontological Societies. Initiated in 1969, NAPC meets every 4-5 years. The convention includes active participation from all fields of paleontology. Over 500 participants from 26 countries attended the most recent NAPC in Cincinnati (2009).
A more detailed 1st circular, including a formal solicitation for symposium/theme session proposals, student support information, and
important deadlines will be forthcoming shortly.
We extend our warmest invitation to all who are interested in paleontology and hope to see you in Florida in February 2014.
NAPC Organizing Committee
Fourth International Palaeontological Congress
Mendoza, September 28 to October 3, 2014.
- Plan to attend and participate in IPC4 !!!
- Encourage your colleagues and students to attend and participate in IPC4.
- Register early and encourage others to do likewise. The organizers have announced two levels of substantial discounts on the registration fees, for payments made by July 30 (deadline extended from June 16 date previously announced) and December 30, 2013. You can register now at http://www.ipc4mendoza2014.org.ar/registration/
- Do everything you can to encourage professional organizations of which you are a member to make funds available to subsidize participation by students in IPC4.
- Encourage these same organizations to sponsor and financially support symposia, keynote presentations (see IPC4 website) or other events occurring at IPC4. Please note the opportunity to have an organization’s logo shown, signifying it as a contributor to or supporter of IPC4, at http://www.ipc4mendoza2014.org.ar/contributors/ and http://www.ipc4mendoza2014.org.ar/supporters/
For further information on these matters, please contact the organizers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contemplating an event to be sponsored by PS?
If you are thinking of organizing a future short course or a GSA topical session, please contact the PS Program Coordinator, Tom Olszewski (email@example.com).