The Paleontological Society will post job announcements of relevance to our members. To have your job announcement included on this page, please forward your information exactly as you wish it to be displayed to [email protected]. All job postings will remain on this page until the application deadline or for 3 months. To extend or terminate your post, please submit a request in writing.
SENIOR PALEONTOLOGIST / PROJECT MANAGER
Location: Pasadena, CA
Applied EarthWorks, Inc. (Æ) has an immediate opening a full-time Senior Paleontologist / Project Manager in our Pasadena, CA office. The Senior Paleontologist / PM will identify paleontological services needed for specific projects, discussing these services with Æ’s Paleontology Program Manager and clients; recognize staffing needs and collaborate with Æ’s Paleontology Supervisor; and prepare scopes of work, cost proposals, and schedules for services. The successful candidate also will assist with business development and marketing Æ’s paleontology services.
Typical job duties will include: oversee technical specifications and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of teams executing work; prepare scopes of work and budgets to ensure they properly align services with project needs and meet/exceed best management practices; prepare or review technical reports, management plans, and other compliance documents prepared by junior staff; oversee proactive tracking and oversight of project status, resourcing and priorities for projects; and assist all members/roles in prioritizing workflow.
- Comprehensive understanding of geology, paleontology, biology, paleoecology, stratigraphy, and biostratigraphy.
- Ability to identify regulatory compliance needs based on project descriptions, regulatory context, and construction design.
- Experience writing technical reports, management plans, and other documents at all levels of compliance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with clients and staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must meet the Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists (SVP) qualifications for Principal Investigator/Project Paleontologist. Candidates must have:
- M.A. or Ph.D. degree in paleontology or geology and/or a publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated competence in field techniques, preparation, identification, curation, and reporting in California.
- At least two full years of professional experience as assistant to a Project Paleontologist with administration and project management experience, as supported by a list of projects and referral contacts.
- Proficient in recognizing fossils in the field and determining their significance. Expertise in western geology, stratigraphy, and biostratigraphy. Experience in field collection and laboratory processing of fossils, preferably a range of biota.
Preference will be given to candidates with prior paleontological and project management experience in an environmental compliance setting, including successful authorship of past CEQA and/or NEPA documents, in Southern California.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants may submit a letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, a technical writing sample and list of three professional references to Human Resources at [email protected]. Please reference “Senior Paleontologist” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Æ is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Director of Collections, Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Please click here to view the job posting.