The Paleontological Society recognizes the importance of educational and research practices that foster diversity and inclusion. We value the contribution of diverse opinions, strategies, and experiences at the sessions, short courses, and workshops that we sponsor at meetings of the Geological Society of America and the North American Paleontological Convention as they are an integral part to the advancement of our field.
However, many of our colleagues who work extensively on inclusive educational and research practices might not qualify for research-based funding for conference travel from their home institutions. In addition, colleagues from groups underrepresented in paleontology, in a career transition (between undergrad and grad, grad to post-doc, post-doc to position), or in adjunct, teaching, museum, or part-time positions are often the most vulnerable and most likely to leave paleontology and science. It is crucial that we ensure that these members are able to attend and participate in our meetings as well as network with community members who can provide the support and mentorship that is needed in these critical transitions or positions.
Thus, the Paleontological Society is offering competitive conference travel grants to help offset the travel expenses of three PS members from underrepresented and/or at-risk groups who would be unable to attend the GSA 2019 annual meeting without travel support.
$1200 per award.
· Applicants should be members of the Paleontological Society
· Applicants should identify as members of an underrepresented group, OR be in a career transition (between undergrad and grad school, grad school to post-doc, or post-doc to position), OR belong to an at-risk group not listed here (to be explained by the applicant in their application).
· Applicants must not have sufficient funds available to them for travel to conferences due to the nature of their employment (i.e., adjunct, teaching, museum, or part-time positions)
· A paragraph describing how the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
· A budget itemizing expenses for the conference travel.
· A C.V. or résumé
Application and Review Process
Email questions and completed applications to The Paleontological Society Diversity and Inclusion Group: [email protected]. Applications are due midnight August 25th, 2019. The Paleontological Society Diversity and Inclusion Group will review applications and award grants according to available funding.